When we provide services, we want to make them easy to use, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- recognising that you may already have given an email address/website when you leave a blog comment, meaning you don’t need to re-type that information for every comment you leave
- measuring how many people are using our website via Google Analytics, so the website can be made easier to use, and more suited to your needs
You can manage these small files yourself. You can find out how to do this, and learn more about Cookies in general here.
The following list outlines exactly what cookies this website uses, and what they are used for:
Google Analytics sets cookies to help us accurately estimate the number of visitors to the website and what content is most popular. This helps to ensure that our website is responding to your needs in the best way possible. Google Analytics sets the following cookies:
- __utma (Expiry: 2 years)
- __utmb (Expiry: 30 minutes)
- __utmc (Expiry: At end of session)
- __utmz (Expiry: 6 months)
When you leave a comment on our blog, three cookies are set to store your name, email address and website. This is so that if you wish to leave another comment, you won’t have to re-type this information:
- comment_author_29a2a1b0f91239ec5eae7f64b73d21be (Expiry: A little under 1 year)
- comment_author_email_29a2a1b0f91239ec5eae7f64b73d21be (Expiry: A little under 1 year)
- comment_author_url_29a2a1b0f91239ec5eae7f64b73d21be (Expiry: A little under 1 year)
Social Media & Sharing
We use Add to Any/Lockerz to allow users to share content on our blog via Social Media or email. This service sets the following 3rd party coookie:
- uvc (Expiry: 1 day)
Additional cookies may be set when you use this service or the ‘TweetMeMe’ or ‘LinkedIn Share’ buttons to share content.
Our website also features a Twitter feed (see, for example, the side column on our home page). This sets the following 3rd party cookie:
- k (Expiry: 7 days)
We use Paper.li to display our ‘Business Tourism Daily’ paper. If you visit this page, paper.li will set the following 3rd party cookies:
- ring.session (Expiry: At end of session)
- OAGEO (Expiry: At end of session)
- OAID (Expiry: 1 year)
If you receive the HTML-formatted version of our email newsletter, your opening of the newsletter email is notified to us and saved. Your clicks on links in the newsletter are also saved. These and the open statistics are used in aggregate form to give us an indication of the popularity of the content and to help us make decisions about future content and formatting.